Monday, September 13, 2010

No Surprise Here.

My most recent "home away from home" was more like a house than a home. I stayed a week by myself up in Minnesota in a house with no curtains, or blinds, or anything to shield the inside from the outside. Of course this situation is a nightmare for any scared-ee cat, especially someone like myself.

The house has no upstairs. There is simply a, "man-cave," in the basement. Ergo, everything I do in that house takes part in the basement (except sleeping, there is a bed upstairs). So, one night I'm alone in the basement finishing up Season 1 of Parenthood (new love) and having a few drinks because I had a stressful day. I completed my "getting ready for bed" routine by checking some of my favorite websites and seeing if anyone was online for a late night chat. Woah!! I have never felt so popular in my life. I was Skyping with my soon-to-be boss, some old friends, video chatting, and being completely overwhelmed/distracted from the darkness upstairs. Thanks friends :)

Then, all of a sudden I hear a loud thud and immediately freeze, mute the TV, and stop breathing. I was sure someone was upstairs and had just broken in. I was speechless and called Jared who didn't answer until I texted telling him what's up. He called back and talked me into going upstairs to check it out and even wanted me to ask, "Hello? Who's here?" (No, I'm not going to ask if anyone is upstairs so they can attack me, so I ignored that suggestion)

I forgot to mention that during my whole stay at this house alone I had a hammer on the nightstand by the bed incase anyone decided to pull a quick one on me. So, I proceeded upstairs (butcher knife in hand) to check out the situation. I turned on every light in the place and found nothing out of place. I returned downstairs, heart still racing, and shut everything down so that I could run back upstairs to go to sleep and get the night over with. As I laid down in bed, I looked outside (on edge as usual) and searched for any sign of movement. I then noticed a fridge in the driveway on it's side. Yup, sure enough it was a stinkin' (literally) fridge that had tipped over in the driveway and scared the beeswax out of me.

Needless to say, I was still scared the entire night and rest of the week. Now, my alone time has moved to a Motel 6 in Illinois...can't say it's much better, but my time of being homeless and alone is almost to an end :)

Song: There Goes the Fear-Doves

No comments:

Post a Comment